Monday, October 10, 2011

24 Hours of Georgia 2011 (Pre-race)

Shey and Jansen planned to race on teams for the 24 hours of Georgia race at the Olympic MTB trails in Conyers and Everett was coming home to help set up the course, then work at the bike shop. This race really snuck up on me, even though Shey has been talking about it all year.

**

Chainbuster and Dirty Spokes Racing put on the best races around. These guys PERSONALLY THANK every racer for coming out to their race. That is how much they care about making sure their racers are taken care of. I love their races, but haven't raced in one this year. How can that be? Well, we'll just have to fix that little mistake.

**

Yeah, so, you know how you talk yourself into doing things sometimes? I'm not sure if everyone's mind works this way, but here's how I get myself into these things and how Shey handles me after 20 years of marriage:



1. I come up with a simple plan that I keep to myself because I know Shey will look at me like I have a third arm, then kindly tell me he thinks I "will do very well" or "just fine". He completely supports me, but I can tell he thinks I'm a little crazy.



2. After a few hours, I believe this is a good plan and I won't get the "your crazy" look from Shey, so I tell him that I think I will do the 24 hour race solo. (yes, the race that is tomorrow)



3. I get the 'look' and he tells me he thinks I "will do very well". Damn. Then he is very quiet about the subject and I can't tell if he is praying I will change my mind or coming up with an emergency plan for getting an ambulance out to whatever I am planning to do. Either way he wants to know how he can help and what I need.




4. Since the course is only 15 miles from our house, my plan is this:



a) I will ride 3 laps on the first day (a regular expert race distance), then come home to sleep, then ride 2 laps the next morning. Great plan, but......then the plan changes to:

b) I really should ride 5 laps the first day, come home to sleep, then see how I feel in the morning. REALLY great plan, but.......this is even better:

c) Wouldn't it be cool to do 5 laps the first day, then....if I feel good.....ride one lap at night with my old helmet light that I have no idea how long the battery will last, then......head out for another two or three laps and get in 100 miles on the Olympic Trails?


YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!! I LOVE plan C!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I tell Shey "it's a go" and scramble on Friday afternoon to gather whatever things I can find to take to the race. Cardinal rule of racing: Don't try foods/drinks that you have not tried during training!!!! Hmmm, I found a bag of Perpetuem endurance powder in the bottom of the pantry...... I've never had it, but it sounds promising, so I add it to the basket of nutrition. : >)

**

I have a basic knowledge of nutrition for the various 5 person 12 and 24 hour teams I have been on and I stick with that list, but double it for the amount of calories I will need and plan to drink/eat much more often. I make myself a little schedule and write out what food/clothing I estimate to need for each lap. I know after about mile 50 I will stop thinking clearly and I plan to support myself, since the guys will only be at the race on the first day and they will be racing during that time.

**

Cory and Anna (and munchie) are staying with us for the weekend and Cory is racing the 24 hour solo, too. They roll in at about 11:00pm and hit the hay soon after. We both plan to hit the grocery store in the morning on the way to the race to pick up our snack foods. The race runs from 11:00 am Saturday to 11:00 am Sunday.
**
Anna, Cory and Andy


Munchie


1 comment:

Daily Car Reviews said...

Nice blogger!

+1 follower ;)