Monday, April 14, 2008

Gainesville Road Race


The boys and I all race the Gainesville Road Race on April 5th.

This is a GA Cup race, so the course was not marked well, the results were not posted for protest and the results were wrong. Typical of this series. Many racers missed turns, which put guys leading the pack....chasing the pack, instead.

Everett's lead car led them off the course and they ended up on a highway where they had to pull over in a parking lot in the cold rain and wait for another car to come find them and take them back to the course. I will say that these juniors handled this with grace. No complaints or anger, dispite their disappointment, again, in this series.

Here is Jansen's race report:


Last Saturday was the Georgia Cup, Gainesville race. It was the first road race I’ve ever done. (I’ve raced xc for three and a half years) So, I raced the juniors eleven to fourteen category. At the start line, I looked at the competition. The category consisted of mainly Frazier Cycling juniors with a wide range of ages and abilities, one guy who was even taller than me, my teammate Sean and me. The tall guy had a sweet steel lugged Colnago!

When the race was off we started in a slow moving mass of blue and white. After a while, three guys ended up at the front. Tall Colnago kid, Sean and me. In that order. As the race went on riders kept popping off the back, until, after a long hill, I looked back and no one was there.

We rode the rest of the fifteen miles in a breakaway pack of three. Sean and I tried to pass the Colnago guy, but he would have none of it, so the three of us came down the final stretch together. Sean pulled away with me right on his wheel. Then, I moved around for the sprint and we came in first and second. Very cool.

The awards were very frustrating because they didn’t post the results for a protest period. Then when they were posted they were wrong. We did get our medals...eventually, after standing around in the cold for 45 minutes, but the results on-line are still wrong and my name is nowhere to be found.

I had lots of fun and got to see friends and teammates that I don’t usually get to see, since I’m a mountain biker.

No comments: