Sunday, June 20, 2010

Molly and Mason



This past Wednesday, the girls got together for Molly’s birthday dinner. The restaurant served local produce and it was extremely yummy! (more pictures soon)




I met Molly right after work for some shopping before dinner. Her new carriage house is awesome and in a cool area of town. Lilith and sock monkey approve.



Kate brought ultrasound pics and Aimee brought funny stories about what Queen Latifah has been up to.



Special gifts for a special friend who loves coffee, chocolate and cycling.




So, Molly mentioned a Mason Jennings concert that was in Asheville the next night. I mentioned that I would pack some clothes in the car and take them to work the next day in case it worked out that I could get off early and go with her, but I didn't really think it would work out.


So, I forgot the clothes, but it just so happened that I could get off a little early, which is rare, and when I texted Super Mo, she was like, "I'll pull off on the next exit and find a place for you to meet me."


With that I set off in my scrubs, found a pair of pants and a hoodie in the car, had flip flops, needed a shirt and terribly needed a shower. Molly offered her shirt, uh, you know, the one that is obscenely tight on me and looks like those really cool half shirts we wore in the '80's ?!, but the shower wasn't happening. Fortunately, Molly promises she has not sense of smell, yes, she is the perfect traveling companion!!




Apparently, this is what you need for a fabulous road trip:

#1 Aimee bought these and they are like crack...





#2 Caffiene



#3 Do any of us leave home without one of these?


#4, yes the nasty brown banana is a must.




#5. A good friend.



The 3 or so hour drive flew by as we talked the whole way, of course Mo talks to the GPS system and all the other drivers on the road, so she is only talking to me part of the time, but that's okay. I can share.



Mason was amazing and Mo talked to him about his new album, which he reported would not include the "drunk while riding bicycles" song that Molly is so fond of.




When we left, we were walking by a pub and discussing how hungry we were, when we noticed a guy out front had a really great looking plate of food, so we grabbed a small table on the sidewalk and ordered the most amazing steak, covered with blackberries, fresh green beans and fries and two orders of blueberry cobbler with vanilla ice cream.


We fit neatly between a veteran, who was requesting contributions from the passers-by while sitting on his five gallon bucket throne, and a guy who lived on a house boat and made sure to let Molly know that he was pretty much alone.......except for the big dog on the sidewalk beside him. The veteran gave us the history of the Orange Peel, which was the venue for the concert and Molly let the house-boat guy down easy. It was a good night.



We drove an hour, then slept for a bit in a hotel, before getting up early to finish the drive back to Atlanta, as Molly had a morning meeting to attend.


I was so glad to have the time to catch up with a very good friend and hear about her adventures in Peru. She has been a very busy Aunt this year with so many of our friends starting their families, so it's amazing she found the time to spend three weeks out of the country.


As I hit Atlanta I decided to drop by REI, but they weren't quite open and Aimee and Queen Latifah pulled in the parking lot behind me. So, I got to spend some quality time with the Queen and we both agree that EVERYTHING really should go in your mouth AND drooling is tons of fun!


You can see the resemblance to her mother here>






After errand running with Aim and Queenie Pie, I ran home, got a shower, took the boys to see Iron Man 2......which was AWESOME!, then grilled some really yummy steaks with mushrooms for Shey for Father's Day.


More good times with special friends! Thanks so much to all of you.




No comments: