Monday, August 06, 2012

Stinging Things

Everett and I went for a trail run at IHP after work on Thursday.  We were trotting down a dirt trail on the granite side of the park when  a dog came running down the trail.  He was excited to see us and wanted to play so Everett petted him and talked to him, while that was happening something hit me on the lower back and it started to burn.  I grabbed it and pulled it off.  I turned and asked Everett if something had stung me through my shirt.  He said he didn't see anything and it was then that they started to hit us.  The insects were too fast for me to see what they were, but they flew at us hard and their sting hurt like hell.  Definately not bees or yellow jackets.  I yelled at Everett to run and I took off. 


Everett headed the other way to let the guy with the dogs know that there were "bees".  The guy thought it would just be a couple bees and kept heading down the trail when he was attacked.  He dropped his glasses and ran, yelling and swatting.  Everett yelled from the woods to let me know he was okay.  We met the guy and his dogs at the parking lot and he said his vision was very bad, but there was no way he was going back for his glasses. 


7 stings kept me from playing for a few days, but some steroids and benadryl helped a lot.  I didn't think to get pictures the day of the stings, but here are a couple after taking the meds.  Thankfully Everett got away quickly, but still had a couple stings on his back.


My side felt like it was bruised from this one little sting.


Felt better by Sunday, so Jansen and I loaded up the boat, while Everett slept in on his day off.

 Lake Varner was smooth and fun.
 Lovely day!
 Then home for some yummy Ben and Jerry's!!

No comments: