Friday, August 03, 2012

Too Much Again

Getting groceries for four on a bike isn't the easiest thing in the world, especially when you live with three grown men that eat like they are storing up for the winter....year 'round!  I tend to get more than I can fit on the bike....every time.

My goal for this year was to have a commuter bike set-up with panniers, box, etc to jump on at any time to run my errands.  My normal route is between 32 and 37 miles.   My B.O.B. trailer is awesome, but I tend to fill it to the full weight limit and riding home feels wobbly and unsafe.  I chose a Giant hybrid/cruiser style bike.  (It is taking alot of adjusting to get it to feel similar to my mtb or road bike, a cross bike may have been a better choice.)


I stole a nesting box (milk crate) from the coop to zip-tie to the rack of my bike.  The Betties looked at me like this......


Of course when I walked out of the grocery store I had way too much to fit in a backpack and milk crate.  In the end, I hauled this load home.


 A watermelon, gaia melon and two liter diet root beer (that I was craving) fit in my backpack, along with my bike cable and lock, etc.  Milk jug, large cans of tomato sauce, meats and cheeses in the milk crate and bread, cereal, etc tied in bags to the outside of the milk crate.  It felt more stable than the BOB trailer and though the backpack was heavy, I didn't have a problem with balance.  I am really ready to order my Banjo Brothers panniers this fall!!


After groceries, I got a call from Shey.  He had been riding a two day route, with his friend Thomas,  through the surrounding counties and had camped at Hart Farms trails.  He was now on his way back to Covington and wanted to meet up for lunch. 
He and Thomas had been riding through some pretty hot temps and I was sure he was needing some salty food.  So, we chose Bullritos.

I rode into town to meet him and we ate yummy tacos while he told me about his adventure and we laughed about all the fun summer stuff we have done with the boys this year.  He was surprised the boys didn't ride into town with me, but I snuck out the door so they could have the house to themselves.  We are lucky parents for sure!!
Kari Lindner
**

No comments: