Sunday, May 07, 2017

AZ and NM In the Beginning



We have been fortunate to be able to travel to Texas to spend time with family the last few months.  Somewhere in the middle of April, we were back home, and sleeping in the Pisgah Forest, when I  mentioned that I thought we had a vacation coming up in a couple weeks.  We didn't have anything planned and neither of us had even thought about it.  


I spent the next weekend looking at National Forests and trails.  (I also snuck out to another fun concert with Molly and Jansen.) 



Ryan Montbleau





 Shey has never wanted to hike the Grand Canyon.  In fact, when we visit the area and hike near it he always comments that it looks just like it did 10 miles ago and then he goes back to the car because watching a bunch of kids run around the edge of the canyon while their parents are taking pictures and not paying any attention to the fact their kids could trip and fall a really, really, really, really long way down, stresses him out.

So, I'm looking at temps and snow melt and see that we need to head southwest again at this time of year.  He's in the kitchen making coffee and not really paying attention to me, so I say, "Hey, do you want to hike the big canyon?"  He says, "I guess I should do that sometime."  I say, "That's a yes!" and I disappear into the office.  An hour and a half later I have our trip pretty much planned and I make car and hotel reservations that night.  Done!  Whew!

We'll fly into Phoenix, mosey up to Flagstaff and trek up and down the canyon one morning during the week, when it won't be so crowded.  Then we will play around Flagstaff for a couple more days, before heading to Gila National Forest in NM and stop to see Kenneth and Kristina.  Perfect!

I decided on the regular route of down South Kaibab and up Bright Angel.  I didn't get to come up Bright Angel in 2015 when I hiked R2R2R, because I wanted to pick up the car that we had parked at South Kaibab.  I was excited to hike Bright Angel during the day.  Shey wasn't very excited.....but he knew there would be beer there, so all was okay!


We had some drama/trauma with the chickens, so we pushed out flight back until Saturday night and I spent the day trail running with these guys.  I did try to get them to stay out of the mud, but that never works.




She may not be a trail runner, but she is a wonderful couch potato!


We caught a late flight and grabbed midnight dinner at In n Out.  I was in need of a burger and that hit the spot.  The next day we drove up to Flagstaff and hit Buffalo Park for an easy run.



The view isn't too shabby.



 Next pizza, Wanderlust beer and gelato at Pizzicletta, with leftovers for the next day after our hike.    http://www.pizzicletta.com/



 So far so good........

No comments: