Monday, May 07, 2012

Long Sunday Ride

Saturday I dropped Jansen off for a practice AP test and rode from his school.   3 hours of bushwacking, gravel roads, dirt roads and rolling paved roads out to Monticello and back.  Beautiful day and beautiful scenery.  I got some great pictures on my phone, but it's a borrowed phone from a friend and I have no idea how to get the pictures off, so use your imagination.

**

Sunday, Shey and I headed out early to Ellijay.  We met Jason M. at Mulberry Gap and Diane shuttled us over to somewhere on the other side of the Stanley Gap trail.  We would ride Dave Muse's route through Stanley Gap to Mulberry Gap.  63 miles or so and the weather was perfect!


I got off track almost immediately but corrected myself before getting off track again in the Stanley Gap area.  An extra loop gave me some extra miles, but the trail was pretty amazing.  I was using a track on my gps and it's really cool to be able to take time by myself to ride these areas that people have connected together, but it also adds that element of following the route and getting stressed when I get off course.  I LOVE to wander!  (Off route two more times before I finished this section.)

Climbing the road to the big blue sky!

Lunch of champions.
My lunch companion.

Amazing scenery everywhere I looked.  I came really close to a bobcat that was busy catching something on an embankment as I rolled by.  Needless to say, I did not get a picture as we scared the bejeezus out of each other.


Similar views all along the way.

Pinhoti Terminus.


Clear water.

The day was so clear I could see for miles. 

After getting lost so early on, I slowed down quite a bit and constantly stopped to check my gps and que sheet.  By the time I hit Potato Patch, I had almost reached what our total ride mileage was to be, even without doing Bear Creek, P1 and P2, so I headed down fs68 and that still put me back at MG hours after Shey and Jason finished.  It was a great route and lots of fun.


Shey and I stopped at KSU and picked up Everett on the way home, so we got to catch up with everything he has been up to since his finals are over.

**

No comments: