Friday, May 04, 2012

Mother's Day Gift Ideas for those Outdoor Moms




So, you were wise enough to realize that the whole, “But you’re not my mom” line doesn’t work and appreciation does need to be shown to the one who makes sure your young ones turn out prepared to take on this crazy world, right?


Here is a list of my favorite outdoor mom items, that make me smile.  Cycling, hiking, running, paddling or just hanging outside is what we love to do, so giving a gift that compliments that lifestyle will move you up the ladder of loved ones who ‘got it right’!

Cycling apparel:


Does she have her latest club or team kit?  If not, head over to her LBS and see what they have in stock.  Surprise her with a brand spanking new kit!


Does she have lots of cool, stretchy capris and loves to wear her favorite skirts over and over?  Then these bloomers are perfect for under her favorite everyday clothing.

 http://www.myalibiclothing.com/products-page/bottoms/bloomers/


Are baggies more her style?   My two favorites are made by Jett and Endura.


These Jett shorts look awesome with my Faster Mustache jersey.  I wear them commuting everywhere, but the chamois is so awesome that I have no hesitation when picking them for long rides to far away trails.    http://jettmtb.com/  



  Endura  makes quality cycling gear that will last her for years to come.  They also have 'lighter' choices for the heat of the south.  http://www.endurasport.com/Dept.aspx?dept_id=119


Riding Glasses:  Tifosi,  love my Jets!



Bikepacking:  There are several guys who are making quality bikepacking gear for your bike.  I am absolutely in love with my Pika and Gas Tank by Revelate http://www.revelatedesigns.com/  Eric makes quality, bomb-proof products and is an all-around nice guy.

 

GPS:  Garmin etrex 20


Backpack:  Osprey Talon  22.  I take this EVERYWHERE.  This is by far the most comfortable backpack I have used.   It's gets incredibly nasty after so much use and tons of sweaty rides, but comes out looking new from the washing machine. 


Running watch:  Garmin  makes some great products for runners.



 


Sandals: Chacos.  Tough and I can throw them in the dishwasher every now and them to clean them.  (top rack and probably against manufacturers advice, but completely works for busy mom!)


Socks:  Smartwool anything.  I love these socks and they have saved me from hotspots on my weekly runs for years.


Running shorts:   Lululemon groovy are my favorites, but they stopped making them a few years ago, so I got a pair of these.    http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/women-shorts/Turbo-Run-Short-33075?cc=4764&skuId=3439348&catId=women-shorts   They are just like the groovy shots, but with the vents in the back.   They are without a doubt my favorite shorts to run in and I would rather have one pair of these that I wash over and over and over, than any other shorts that give me a wedgie. 


Shades: Native eyewear


T-shirts:  Endurance Conspiracy (love these super soft shirts and we don't see them around our races), Twin Six  (great support for the cycling community and super cool shirts; see them all around the local races)


Helmet: Specialized


Life Preserver: Lotus Designs

Tents:  Without a doubt, Mountain Hardwear  We have two “room with a view” tents and have used the heck out of them over the years.  They are sturdy and easy to set-up.  They are heavy for backpacking, so we split the weight, but it is worth it to me to know I can depend on them in any weather.


Sleeping Bags and Pads:  I love REI brand sleeping bags and pads.  I traded all our other big name brands bags and pads for the REI brand because they have performed so well in all our travels. 



Beanie: Turtle Fur  (alpaca beanies) 


Clothing: Anything Horny Toad .........Samba material .....oooh, so soft skirts and shirts.

Also, my favorite jacket is this one:  http://www.hornytoad.com/womens/jackets-layers/bandida-jacket/h1091000/    Reminds me of my favorite jacket when I was a kid roaming around the Texas Hill Country.



Prana pants and skirts:  Monarch and Moab pants are my favorite and they are so comfortable for hiking, traveling and putting up with all the dirt and rocks I throw at them!
http://www.prana.com/



Kari L.

No comments: