Saturday, July 14, 2012

Grand Mesa National Forest

After riding slickrock, we headed back up hwy 128 and stopped along the way to play in the Colorado River.



In just a couple hours of driving we went from this landscape.....


...... to this!  52 degrees at 10,000+ feet in the Grand Mesa National Forest.

 Everett hiked in his flip-flops. 
 The cooler temps were fun and there were many lakes hidden in the mountains.  There were trails everywhere and we saw a couple marmots as we hiked.
 It was wet from a steady drizzle, so I hit the forest service roads on my bike and they were really nice  gravel.  I went looking for moose until the sun went down, but did not see any.
 Jansen carries his man-box-of-awesomeness to the campsite.

 We found a nice little place to sleep at the edge of a marshy clearing.  Something big woke me in the middle of the night.  It was breathing heavy and sounded like a large deer from it's footsteps.  I was too snuggly in my bag to look out.

No comments: