Sunday, July 15, 2012

Grand Mesa to Carbondale



I rolled out of bed a little earlier than the guys and went for a spin on the county roads, which led to some pretty cool snowmobile paths.  Nice ride.  Then I came back and we packed up and all went for a spin together.  County road to jeep track to single track.  


Great views!

We didn't have a map so I was watching my gps.  I told Jansen the main road was right in front of us.......and it was....down a long rocky embankment.  (see it down there?)

Sweet singletrack.
Nice and cool.  About 55 degrees.  This trail ran across a section they where they were clearing trees.  We had to cross about 40 downed trees, then moved on to a clear trail again.

After our morning ride, we said "good-bye" to the Grand Mesa and drove a lovely road through passes and gorges on to Carbondale.  I texted Michelle, but she was riding Crested Butte (and it was hailing there) but she directed us to the Aloha Bike Shop and they gave us excellent directions to the local trails.  But, first, burgers!!!  Jansen got  a Elk Burger here.

The Mushroom Rock trail system on the north side of town was really cool.  Great climb, flat at the top, then super technical rocky stuff on both ends of the loop.

Yum!  Steep and Rocky!
Look at that blue sky!  Great view of the town from above.
My every-trusty Blue!

After we finished that trail I hopped on the bike path along the river, while the boys investigated the park in town.

I was hoping to ride the Prince Creek trails, too, but we all kind-of wanted to find a pool somewhere and get in some swim time.  So, after camping in the woods for the majority of the week, we were off in search of a real campground with a pool!  Bye Carbondale....hope to see you again soon!

No comments: