Monday, August 01, 2011

Playing in NC!




I needed a break and have really missed the mountains, so I decided to take a long weekend in NC.
On Friday I headed up to Bent Creek near Asheville. I didn't realize there was so much gravel road, along with the single track, and underestimated the amount of water I would need, so I ended up with a four hour ride, in the heat, with two bottles of water. Needless to say, I was a little toasted in the end, but happy and ready to hit GreenLife in Asheville.
**
Ah, singletrack at Bent Creek. Yipee!

After picking up fresh Kiwi and Strawberries along with a chicken wrap and some yummy beer at Greenlife, I headed over to Pisgah and even got in a ride on the BlueRidge Parkway before the sun set.
>
**
I wasn't quite tall enough to get a good picture of the sun setting on my ride.....


Then I loaded up to find a good spot to sleep by the river.
I didn't even pitch a tent, but instead slept on my pad in the car. I rolled out of bed and spent my breakfast time eating a croissant and listening to my neighbors dog bark at me from a distance.....until he forgot about me and started chasing a fly.
**
Right now, this is my favorite Lindner Feed Mill cap.
This is how I roll.                                                  Kari Lindner
I started the morning with an eight mile run, then I drove up to the Cradle of Forestry Center. I was the only one there and it was fun and peaceful.
**
I had a very exciting helicopter ride....... : > ) Yep, I put that forest fire out quick. No problem. ha-ha
This tunnel went under the road on one the walkways.

There are several cabins and various historical buildings on the walkway and there were a few craftsmen selling their wares, too. It was quiet and a great way to spend the mid-morning.
Next I stopped by the river and snacked on what was left of my kiwi and strawberries and took a little nap. Ah, heaven!
Then I rode a 3 hour loop by the fish hatchery. When I finished it was time for bed and I soaked my legs in the cold river, then hit the hay.
**
I forgot to take my camera with me, but Pisgah is just as green, luscious, woodsy, tropical and majestic as ever!! Colorado is beautiful, but I am so happy riding here is NC!
**
When I awoke I had a new friend. He was easily the ugliest dog that I have every seen, with a smashed face, fur the color of mud and a very crooked tail. He instantly became my friend and "Jack" would not leave my side to go with his owners. They finally allowed him to stay with me for while and I ate my breakfast and read my werewolf book with Jack by my side. We shared a croissant and he snorted and sneezed with happiness. He also completely slimed my hand whenever I handed him a small piece of croissant. Very cool dog and he started my day off just right.
**
Another eight mile run, then I hit the trails on the mtb. There was a good bit of bush whacking and some "hope there aren't any snakes in there" and "well I guess there's no way I'm avoiding the poison ivy this time" and "what was that noise, it sounded big"
**
I heard the thunder coming, but hoped I would make it up and over the black mountain trail before it turned dark from the storm. Yeah, so that didn't happen, at all. Just as I made the peak, it turned dark and the thunder and lightning was close. It worked out pretty well for descending that crazy rocky stuff, because I wouldn't have been able to pick a good line anyway. So, I slipped and slid my way down in the dark with water pouring into my eyes from my helmet. When I made it out and onto the road I was extremely happy with my ride, very tired and very wet. The rain had cooled the temps down to about 72 and it felt GREAT!!! The ride was just under four hours and I rode back to the car and peeled my clothes off and you know how GREAT dry clothes feel after you have ridden in the rain. I was a very happy camper.
**
On to lunch at Poppy's. A yummy, juicy mushroom burger with homemade fries and raspberry iced tea. Time to head home and catch up with the guys!
*******************

No comments: